T he Murphy Undertaking Business, established in 1895, began the business we are in today. John w. Murphy began this business on College Avenue. He built a new facility at 103 SW 3rd Street in 1939. Retiring in 1944, Mr. Murphy sold both his funeral and furniture business' to Lloyd O. Reed and David L. Davis. The funeral home was the the Davis Funeral Home from 1944 - 1954. In 1954, George Kopp purchased the business.
In 1955 Joe and Shirley Reiser purchased the business and owned and operated it until his death in 1981. At that time, the Trimble family of Moline purchased the business. On July 7, 2000 an electrical fire claimed the top two floors of the building at 103 SE 3rd Street. At that time, Trimble Funeral Home moved to the Frew School building, in the Mer-Roc Farm Service Complex for four years.
Annette M. (French) Speer, a 1990 graduate of Creighton University and 1992 graduate of Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science, became the manager of the Reiser-Trimble Funeral Home in 1998. Annette Received her Iowa license in 1993 and Illinois license in 1997 both while working at a Muscatine Funeral Home. In 1998, Doyle returned home to the family farm in Ohio Grove Township, and Annette took the job with Trimble's.
On July 15, 2003 the Speer's purchased the funeral home business from the Trimble Family and broke ground on the current facility. The new facility was finished on August 1, 2004.